Antibodies against human placental choline acetyltransferase (ChAT) were used to immunohistochemically stain cholinergic neurons in the neostriatum and nucleus basalis of Meynert in the human brain.
The cells of both regions were intensely stained as well as the nerve fibers. Comparable cells were stained in these same brain regions in the rat. This anti-human ChAT antibody will allow a more detailed characterization of cholinergic neurons in the human brain in both health and disease.
Co-localization of acetylcholinesterase and choline acetyltransferase in the rat brain.
- Levey AI, Wainer BH, Mufson EJ, Mesulam MM.
- Neuroscience 1983 May; 9 (1): 9-22. doi: 10.1016 / 0306-4522 (83) 90042-8.
- PMID: 6348584
Choline acetyltransferase-containing neurons in rodent brain demonstrated by immunohistochemistry.
- Kimura H, McGeer PL, Peng F, McGeer EG.
- Sciences. 1980 May 30; 208 (4447): 1057-9. doi: 10.1126 / science.6990490.
- PMID: 6990490
Persistence of cholinergic neurons in the nucleus basalis in a brain with senile dementia of the Alzheimer type demonstrated by immunohistochemical staining for choline acetyltransferase.
- Pearson RC, Sofroniew MV, Neck AC, Powell TP, Eckenstein F, Esiri MM, Wilcock GK.
- Brain Res. 1983 Dec 19; 289 (1-2): 375-9. doi: 10.1016 / 0006-8993 (83) 90046-x.
- PMID: 6362777
Meynert’s nucleus basalis in neurological dementia disease: a review.
- Chozick B.
- Int J Neurosci. 1987 November; 37 (1-2): 31-48. doi: 10.3109 / 00207458708991799.
- PMID: 2960633 Revision.
Molecular forms of acetylcholinesterases in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Younkin SG, Goodridge B, Katz J, Lockett G, Nafziger D, Usiak MF, Younkin LH.
- Fed Proc. 1986 December; 45 (13): 2982-8.
- PMID: 2430839 Revision.